Cracks in concrete slabs are common and can cause trip hazards.
If you want to repair a cracked concrete slab yourself, there are three basic steps you need to follow.
1. The first step is to clean the area and remove loose debris.
- You will then need to mix a mixture of epoxy and sand.
- Depending on the thickness of the crack, you will need a bit of sand and one-half to two cups of epoxy.
- Make sure to follow the instructions on the container.
2. The next step is to repair the cracks with a repair material.
- This can be a cement-based patch or a self-leveling polyurethane sealant.
- Using a putty knife or a mason’s trowel, force the crack repair material into the crack.
- Once the material has cured, smooth it out with a chisel.
- Then, apply a second layer of the concrete patch or the concrete fortifier.
Tip: If the crack is only a few millimeters wide, you can use a chipping hammer to create a rough surface. For larger cracks, use a grinder with a dry diamond cutting wheel and a 4-inch hammer. If the crack is wider than an inch, use a 4-inch grinder with a wet-dry shop vacuum to remove the excess concrete. Once the patch is dry, it is time to apply the new repair concrete.
3. The next step is to fill the crack with a repair material.
- When it comes to filling a crack, you need to choose the best material for the job.
- This will help you fix the crack quickly and easily, and you will have a concrete surface you can be proud of. Besides, you will have a better looking concrete slab in the end.
- And if you want a longer-lasting result, you should choose a high-quality repair material.
Tip: Before applying the filling agent, it is necessary to clean the cracks. Ensure that the concrete surface is completely clean to prevent a watertight seal. Then, you should apply the filling agent. Once it has hardened, it should be applied to the crack. If the crack is very large, you should carefully work with a professional to avoid any further damage. But be sure to keep the safety of your home when fixing the concrete.
If you have a large crack, you can repair it by applying a concrete seal. If it is small, you can simply paint over the patching compound. You can also use a special compound to cover a larger crack. It has a grout-like texture. It can be painted over or flattened to match the texture of the slab. But if you notice a large crack, it is best to hire a professional.